Friday, January 15, 2010

Day Five: Hope

As you pray and fast these 21 one days I would encourage you to do so with the hope that God is going to do something through it.

One of my favorite stories of fasting comes from the book of Esther. Haman was planning to kill all of the Jews and Esther thought that she might be able to stop his plot. So, she asked all of her people in the city to fast and pray with her three days and nights, and on the fourth day she went to her husband, the king, to plead her case. Her words are inspiring.

"Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish." -Esther 4:16

Her resolute faith is echoed in her words. She hopes that God will move mightily, but even the prospect of death will not shake her belief.

So let's have some prodigious hopes for this coming year and not allow any roadblocks to discourage us. God is here and anything can happen.

No comments: